Increasingly, dangerous urban interface fires are raging across the United States and Canada, becoming catastrophic with enormous loss of property and significant risk to human life. Consequently, IAFF members are faced with a variety of extraordinary challenges that will only worsen if not addressed.
The IAFF is making sure our members are equipped and trained to safely and effectively respond to the challenges of wildland and urban interface fires.
The International is providing resources and programs to help members who are responding to the threat to the urban interface, borderlands and areas within woodlands and urban areas, including:
- Guidance and subject matter expertise on urban interface fire problems
- Technical and real-world experience to advance legislative and administrative actions that protect our members’ health and safety
- Assistance and analysis of IAFF-sponsored fire research
- Expertise to meet training needs of IAFF members
- Advocacy for increased federal funding for fire suppression and response