Somebody is going to message your members. It had better be your local.
Communicating in the 21st century is the most vital part of any campaign an IAFF affiliate will initiate. In the past several years, the IAFF has trained hundreds of members in entry-level communications, branding and social media.
The IAFF Communications Training Academy is expanding beyond that initial communications training, giving members the opportunity to become true communications directors within their associations and utilize the new technological resources available to them.
Class size is limited to 50. The IAFF accepts only one applicant per local per class. Applicants must have a good working knowledge of social media prior to attending. Prior training classes through ALTS and regional events are recommended before attending.
Education to be provided on the following topics:
- Communications resources available at IAFF headquarters
- Communications and strategic planning
- Developing and strengthening internal communications
- Advanced media relations
- Advanced social media techniques
- Creating video and basic editing techniques
- Developing and implementing a strategic online ad campaign
- Developing a successful e-mail program
- Messaging in the 2020 election cycle
- Developing your own stories for the media
When registration opens, applicants must log in to complete the online application and submit a letter of recommendation from their local president. The IAFF DVP of every applicant will also be notified.