The FY 2020 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) application period will open on Monday, February 8. The deadline for applications is Friday, March 12, at 5:00 p.m. (ET). All career, combination and volunteer fire departments are eligible to apply.
The SAFER grant program was created to provide funding directly to fire departments to help increase or maintain the number of trained, frontline fire fighters available in their communities.
Learn more about the SAFER application process, as well as resources to assist in preparing your application, including an extremely beneficial Live Webinar Series featuring Recruitment and Retention Activity (February 9, 17 and 23) and Hiring of Firefighters Activity (February 10, 18 and 25).
Hiring Overview: Allows career, combination and volunteer fire departments to improve or restore staffing levels for frontline fire fighters for a more effective level of response by providing financial assistance in three categories:
- Rehire: Rehiring fire fighters who have been laid-off within the two years prior to the start of the application period.
- Retention: Retaining fire fighters facing imminent layoff – within 120 days of the close of the application period.
- New Hire: Hire new, additional fire fighters.
Key Hiring Changes:
- No annual salary limits
- No prescribed cost-share
- Grant funds can be now be used to rehire laid-off fire fighters and retain fire fighters facing layoff
- Extensions to the period of performance are now allowable
- No supplanting requirement
- No minimum budget requirement
For additional assistance in preparing your application narratives or for a review of your application prior to submission, contact the IAFF Grants Administration Department at [email protected] or (202) 824-1575.