The IAFF is committed to promoting positive human relations in all aspects of the fire service. Every fire fighter, regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or reason of disability, has the right to a safe and respectful workplace that fosters professional and personal balance. IAFF Human Relations efforts support initiatives to help members achieve that ideal in their firehouses and fire departments. Learn more …
IAFF Annual Conferences and Events
- Vincent J. Bollon Affiliate Leadership Summit (ALTS)
The IAFF’s foremost educational conference offers a wide selection of workshops designed to help affiliate leaders be more effective in their roles and to help build their local unions.
- Ernest A. “Buddy” Mass Human Relations Conference
Biennial in conjunction with ALTS
Dedicated to improving the quality of life for all fire fighters by exploring the differences that divide members and the similarities that build solidarity among brother and sister fire fighters, this conference offers a wide range of workshops on topics associated with human relations issues facing members in the firehouse, on the job and at home.
- Alfred K. Whitehead Legislative Conference
The cornerstone of the IAFF’s legislative efforts, the Legislative Conference provides members with the opportunity to both strengthen relationships with their elected officials and to lobby on IAFF priority legislation. The Legislative Conference gives members an opportunity to influence Congress on legislation that directly affects their jobs, economic security and safety.
- Canadian Legislative Conference
- IAFF Convention
- John P. Redmond Health and Safety Symposium/Dominick F. Barbera EMS Conference
The Redmond Symposium focuses on the occupational health and safety hazards of the fire service and features a combination of workshops, discussions and exhibits designed to keep fire and emergency service professionals up to date on the latest strategies and tools for staying safer on the job. The EMS conference explores all aspects of fire-based emergency medical services and is designed to help improve the effectiveness of fire-based emergency medical services systems by providing the tools necessary to develop, enhance and protect response capability and fire fighter/EMT and paramedic working conditions.
- Canadian Policy Conference
- Fallen Fire Fighter Memorial
- Send Your Mayor to FIRE OPS 101 at the 87th Annual U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Register for the 1st District PEP Training Event
- Register for the 4th District PEP Training Event
- Register for the 7th District PEP Training Event
- Register for the 10th District PEP Training Event
- Register for the 11th District PEP Training Event
- Register for the 12th District PEP Training Event
View all the upcoming PEP training events at the IAFF Upcoming Events.
Online Learning Center
The IAFF Online Learning Center provides IAFF members with the opportunity to build their skills at their own pace – whenever and wherever it is convenient. Using student-centered and interactive learning methods, the IAFF has developed online courses to meet the educational needs of members on the frontline and affiliate leaders representing their local membership.
- Health and Safety
- Human Relations
- Politics/Public Relations
- Retirement Security
- Union Administration