Dozens of teen burn survivors came to Washington, DC for the International Burn Camp hosted by the IAFF Foundation Oct. 7-12. Professional fire fighter counselors provided mentorship to burn campers during the one-week experience.
The teens had a jam-packed week of activities and toured the Maryland Fleet Week and Air Show in Baltimore, Md., a local DC firehouse, and visited several Smithsonian museums and monuments.#IAFFBurnCamp18
- More than 450,000 people in North America suffer burn injuries each year.
- 75 percent of burns to children under four years old are scalds.
- 4,000 people die from fire and burn injuries each year in the U.S.
- The IAFF Charitable Foundation has awarded more than $2.7 million to burn research since 1982.
- An estimated 2,500 children attend 50 regional burn camps each year.
- Since 1995, more than 1,000 teens have attended the International Burn Camp.
View the 2018 Burn Camp Facebook Photo Gallery: http://bit.ly/IAFFBurnCamp2018