Here are two recipes selected from the Firehouse Chef web site and the IAFF Menu Planner that will make you say ‘mmmm good.’
IAFF Menu Planner
HERBED CHICKEN PICCATA
- 2 tbsp. dry plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1 lb. thin-sliced chicken breasts
nonfat cooking spray
- 1 tsp. low-fat margarine
- 8 thin lemon slices
- 1/4 c. low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Combine first five ingredients in shallow dish. Set aside.
- Lightly coat each side of chicken with cooking spray.
- Dredge in crumb mixture.
- Place margarine in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken 4 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through (try not to overcook).
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add lemon slices to skillet and sauté for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients to heat up, drizzle over chicken, and serve
From the Firehouse Chef
Peanut Butter Cup Dessert
• 2 sticks of margarine (1 cup)
• 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
• 1 cup creamy peanut butter
• 1 package grahm crackers
• 1 12oz package of chocolate chips
• Crush grahm crackers mix with powdered sugar.
• Melt margarine and peanut butter in microwave approx 1 1/2 minutes on high.
• Mix that with grahm crackers and powdered sugar and press into a 9 x 13 cake pan.
• Melt chocolate chips and spread on top.
• Cut into 20 squares.
Tastes just like peanut butter cups
Recipe by Firefighter: Lance Seastrand – Calamus Volunteer Fire Dept. Calamus, IA