Orange County Fire Fighter Battles Deadly Bacteria
July 21, 2005 - Orange County, FL Local 2057 fire fighter Brenda Bobo is recovering in Winter Park Memorial Hospital in Florida after a near-death experience caused by a common bacteria found in the mouths of her dogs. Doctors believe the bacteria became life threatening to Bobo because her spleen, an organ that filters out bacteria and toxins from the body, was not working properly at the time of the infection.
Bobo, 39, faced only a 15 percent chance of surviving when she was admitted to the hospital. Miraculously, Bobo pulled through and is recuperating at a steady pace. Bobo now must undergo months of therapy and an intense surgery to save both her feet from being amputated due to sepsis.
“Thankfully, Bobo has had the best of care, from skin specialists to plastic surgeons, and she is doing so much better,” says Laurie Sweeny, a close friend and Local 2057 fire fighter. “She realizes she may never be able to be a fire fighter again, but she is considering pursuing other goals and still remains spirited in her recovery.”
Orange County, FL Local 2057 is setting up a fund for Bobo and all donations can be sent to:
ATTN: For Brenda Bobo