Orange County Fire Fighter Battles Deadly
July 21, 2005 - Orange County, FL Local 2057
fire fighter Brenda Bobo is recovering in Winter Park
Memorial Hospital in Florida after a near-death experience
caused by a common bacteria found in the mouths of her dogs.
Doctors believe the bacteria became life threatening to Bobo
because her spleen, an organ that filters out bacteria and
toxins from the body, was not working properly at the time
of the infection.
Bobo, 39, faced only a 15 percent chance of
surviving when she was admitted to the hospital.
Miraculously, Bobo pulled through and is recuperating at a
steady pace. Bobo now must undergo months of therapy and an
intense surgery to save both her feet from being amputated
due to sepsis.
“Thankfully, Bobo has had the best of care,
from skin specialists to plastic surgeons, and she is doing
so much better,” says Laurie Sweeny, a close friend and
Local 2057 fire fighter. “She realizes she may never be able
to be a fire fighter again, but she is considering pursuing
other goals and still remains spirited in her recovery.”
Orange County, FL Local 2057 is setting up a
fund for Bobo and all donations can be sent to:
ATTN: For Brenda Bobo
Orange County Firefighters, Local 2057
4005 North Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32804